Every year, the percentage of freshers appearing for the IIT-JEE is higher than the students who go for a second attempt. Contrastingly, most of the students getting into IITs have appeared for the exam a second time. This inference might encourage students planning to appear in the IIT-JEE, a second time.
So, while many of you might think about dropping a year and focusing on the JEE, how do you finally decide if that is good for you, or not?
To make an informed decision, first think about the risks that you may face:
- You could get depressed or demotivated.
- There is no guarantee, that things would be up to your expectations this time.
- You could stress yourself for wanting to do the best.
Also, before deciding, consider what you seek to achieve in your second IIT-JEE attempt:
- Is there any IIT that you wish to get into that has the right resources for your field of study? Again, do not go for the best college, go for an institute that is good enough for the branch you have chosen.
- In case getting to study in a desired branch is the reason for taking the JEE again, do not lose a precious year. Because in the second year, you can change your department at all IITs, provided you follow the respective conditions set by the IITs you belong to.
- In case you did well in JEE main and not that great in JEE Advanced, try alternate options and examine their feasibility, and only after that is done, take a call on re-attempting the JEE.
- Assess yourself on the following as well:
- Was your JEE Main score close enough to the cut off?
- Is Engineering your area of interest?
- Is it because of silly mistakes that you could not get through this year?
- Are you mentally prepared to start over?
- Was practice of mock tests and sample papers less this time?
Go through this exhaustive checklist, and if your answer still favours IIT-JEE, give yourself another chance. As once you reach the IIT gates, your flashback about being a fresher or a repeater does not really matter.
But during getting there, do build a lot of mental strength as your circle of relatives and other people from the society might take out a lot of time to advise you or counsel you, rather. Stay above whatever they say or compel you to do, focus only on your end goal.
Put in double the efforts, but that does not mean, you would be required to mentally exhaust yourself. Prepare a well-balanced schedule that allots enough time for eat, sleep and other leisure oriented activities. Practice on a regular basis to assess your level of preparation and look for ways to reach the optimum level required.
All the Best!